- a parent?
- available for one morning or afternoon every week?
- happy to undergo a disclosure and barring service (DBS) check?
- able to complete our in-house training course?
- wanting to improve your knowledge of working with families?
We offer a fun and interactive training course to ensure that you fully understand how we work and what to expect – we will never place you with a family unless you feel happy, confident and ready. You will be given a folder of materials, which will be your reference for the duration of the course and beyond. You will be supported fully throughout your journey with Home-Start Reading.
It is not an academic course, but you will get out what you put in. The learning is done through small group activities and discussions. The topics covered include:
- Childhood and parenting
- Visiting in someone’s home
- Difficulties and Stresses of family life
- Equality, Fairness and Diversity
- Children’s development
- Parent to child communication
- Personal safety
We run one preparation course every year. Our next preparation course is planned for Spring 2020 in Reading. If you are interested please do get in touch. We do not hand your details to anyone else and you will only be contacted by us in line with your interest to becoming a volunteer.
During our 30th birthday celebrations, our former and current volunteers wrote down a word describing how volunteering with Home-Start Reading made them feel, and this is what they said…